We offer sewing lessons for all abilities from beginner level to the accomplished sewer.
Learn to make garments of your choice and how to fit them to your personal measurements. Learn techniques to achieve the professional look to make unique, stylish and beautiful garments.
We teach all aspects of garment construction whether you want to make casual clothes, tailored garments, evening wear, children’s wear, men’s clothing, stretch sewing, fancy dress or learn to repair and do alterations.
Small classes for individual attention in a large, well equipped, air-conditioned sewing studio.
For further information on our Sewing Classes you can download our Flyer.
The Sewing School aims to place new students into a class as soon as possible; however some classes are in demand and a vacancy may not be available straight away. We will always contact you if this is the case.
If you would like to register for The Sewing School classes please complete the registration form and send it via email or call Janet (08) 8362 5050.
What to Bring
- A Commercial Paper Pattern eg: Vogue, McCalls, Butterick, Simplicity, Burda, Kwik Sew, New Look (these can be purchased from a fabric shop)
BEGINNERS: Please choose a pattern with an easy or very easy rating. Avoid Vogue Designer and Burda patterns. A skirt is recommended to start with.
- Suitable Fabrics - Please ask the shop assistant for advice or refer to the back of the pattern.
(BEGINNERS: Avoid slippery polyesters, velvet and large checks) Most fabrics should be washed prior to coming to class to minimise the risk of shrinkage. If the completed garment is only to be dry-cleaned, then do not wash the fabric (EG: silk, Velvet, Pure Wool etc)
- Lining (if necessary)
- Matching Sewing Thread - Recommended brands are Gütermann (can be purchased at class), Mettler or Rasant.
- A basic sewing kit of Pins, Unpicker, Tape measure (cm and inches), Fabric Texta or Dressmaker’s pencils (all available for purchase from The Sewing School), Scissors - paper AND fabric, Pencil or biro
- Zip, Interfacing, Trims and buttons - Please do not purchase these before the first class, as we will discuss them in the first class.
- If you are bringing your own sewing machine to class remember to bring: bobbin and bobbin case, the foot pedal, instruction book, accessories box with feet attachments including zipper foot
- Please name your equipment